"Pigeon Ring" at the VGC

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

"Pigeon Ring" at the VGC

Post by Silvers »

I'm not associated with the VGC event except as a shooter and thus this is just a personal suggestion.

For those of you who will be at the upcoming Vintage Gunners Cup let me suggest you look at the Pigeon Ring and try it out. This is the closest you'll get in almost all states to a real box bird ring as in the days of yore. I had a chance to shoot it last Saturday while at an invitational event at Hidden Hollow and before the ring gets moved to the first field on the access road, just before the rock quarry operation. Any SxS that's suitable for Trap or FITASC will do and you don't have to bring one of those Live Bird guns we see once in a while here on the site. Although that would be nice.

The "box birds" are actually thrown from a rotating and oscillating clay bird trap that's hidden behind a barrier so you can't see its carrousel or the position of the throwing arm. Then on call the clay is released and it can fly anywhere in 360-degrees and at varying elevation trajectories, same as live birds. 10 "birds" per shooter/round and with full use of the gun on each clay. Bonus points if the ribbon that's nestled inside the concave surface of the clay drops inside the perimeter ring fence.

Lots of fun and it certainly will be so for my friend and our Exec Director "Tool Man" who's been hyping it up on pigeon guns and FITASC shooting as long as I've known him. Hey Flambe man, I'm looking forward to seeing you dust off your "Special K" or any other long legged vixens or that Pahkaah double-trap gun you just got. Or that "Brand X" double-trap gun from a year or so ago. As they say, it's time to fish, no more bait cutting …… :lol:

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aan
TOOL MAN

Re: "Pigeon Ring" at the VGC

Post by TOOL MAN »

I'm there, Bogardus!!! My kind of Poker. Tell "Rock Mountain Man" my FITASC Bermuda's are being pressed as we speak!!

Warmest Regards,

"HARD DRIVER"
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Pic of the ring with only 3 shooting butts on Saturday and while still set up in the regular/close parking area. Click to expand pic to see the trap barrier, ring/fence and part of the rotating trap from this angle but not visible from the butts.

Looking forward to see "Hard Driver" in action. :D

Mountain Mike will probably use his Crescent 34" double-trap, maybe his N.R. Davis “Special Pigeon” gun ??? :lol: :lol:
AAAA.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Just for comparison, the real deal, a well known double gunner getting his bird --
Kevin Gets His Bird.jpg
Share the knowledge
longshot

Post by longshot »

I would say the gauntlet has been thrown.
TOOL MAN

Post by TOOL MAN »

[quote="Researcher"]Just for comparison, a well known double gunner getting his bird --

Whoa......is that Rolla "Pop" Heikes from the infamous Oakton Gun Club???? Great form!!! :D :D
On the whole....I'd rather be in Philadelphia....