Early B on Gunbroker

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
SPE33

Early B on Gunbroker

Post by SPE33 »

796971349......Item number of an early B now on Gunbroker.Straight grip gun but I am wondering if this was possibly restocked as it does not appear to have the long tang that I have usually seen on Fox Guns that have the straight grip option.Aside from the Sterlingworth Skeet and Uplands that is.No connection,not bidding.
Researcher

Re: Early B on Gunbroker

Post by Researcher »

Looks like a restock to me. The B-/BE-Grade was shown with a straight grip in the 1907 "Campfire" catalog --
1907 Campfire B-Grade picture.jpeg
1907 Campfire B-Grade text.jpeg
and the same picture in the 1907 pocket catalog --
1907 Pocket 12.jpg
All the other catalogs I have show the B-/BE-Grade with the "standard" half-pistol grip. If you click on the pictures to blow them up you can clearly see the long backstrap trigger guard.
Share the knowledge
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

The gun on GB has a short tang. I thought all straight grip graded guns had a long tang. Accordingly, I thought it was a restock.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Please note I AM NOT commenting pro/con on the cited B Grade on Gunbroker. This reply only has to do with graded Foxes with straight stocks and short tail trigger guards.

Over the years I've seen and handled (two) graded Foxes with what appeared to be a factory straight stock with a short tail trigger guard, and I'm not talking here about Skeet & Uplands. One is the A Grade owned by AHFCA member Jeff S. Several knowledgeable Fox nuts inspected it a few years back while at the Northeast SxS at Hidden Hollow and concurred it looked like factory work. Be sure to read Jeff's last reply on the thread shown below.

frank

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5899&hilit=straight+stock&start=30
Aan
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Thanks Frank. Guess one never knows. This particular gun in question has a letter with it and there is no mention of the straight stock or anything in regards to the stock at all. I'll say, I thought it looked like factory work based on the photos, but the lack of a long tang through me. Lots of stuff throws me these days so nothing new there.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Silvers wrote:Please note I AM NOT commenting pro/con on the cited B Grade on Gunbroker. This reply only has to do with graded Foxes with straight stocks and short tail trigger guards.

Over the years I've seen and handled (two) graded Foxes with what appeared to be a factory straight stock with a short tail trigger guard, and I'm not talking here about Skeet & Uplands. One is the A Grade owned by AHFCA member Jeff S. Several knowledgeable Fox nuts inspected it a few years back while at the Northeast SxS at Hidden Hollow and concurred it looked like factory work. Be sure to read Jeff's last reply on the thread shown below.

frank

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5899&hilit=straight+stock&start=30
Frank, you have an amazing memory. I believe that it was June of 2015 that you inspected my shotgun and declared it "Right as Rain". :)