new member with many questions

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
glassman48

Re: new member with many questions

Post by glassman48 »

I told the member that sold it to me that I "owe him a hunt" I think it was hard for him to part with that gun. I think he knew how badly I wanted an old gun. I think this forum is lucky to have him as a member:) Sometimes I "think" a lot, but there have been a lot of members in this forum and the parker forum that have been very helpful. So thank you all, I am one happy man now :D Probably won't sleep well until I shoot it too :wink: I got up Sunday morning ( I picked up gun on Saturday) took gun out of my gun safe, and I was just as excited as when I first saw the gun a couple weeks ago. The only thing I can compare this feeling to was when my dad told me when I was 11 years old that if I could earn enough money to buy a shotgun that summer, I could get one. I got my first shotgun, brand new from montgomery wards a 20 gauge mossberg pump for $89.00. I hope I can shoot it well, I will take a lot of time to make sure, I won't shoot a box of shells through it and say it isn't for me. It would be hard for me to sell this gun now just based on how kind the member that sold it to me has been to me. Thank you all again. Sincerely, Ed Norman
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks for the kind words. I hadn't shot that gun very much during the last year and I know that Ansley Fox would want it to be in the field. Enjoy it!
Wmatthaei

Post by Wmatthaei »

Nice picture!
No, I'm in North Dakota - waiting for spring.
I've attended a couple of Bryan's shooting schools.
And it was valuable to me to have established a fairly consistent gun mount before doing a fitting.
Once done, I was amazed how stock adjustments to my gun moved the point of impact from consistently 18" high and right to spot on. Now when I miss, which is frequent, it's my own d--- fault.
B
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Way to go, Jeff!
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Wmatthaei,
I really feel fortunate, we have fieldsport and collar clinic about 40 minutes away. Then I have 2 brittany owners that have gone way way out of their way to help us with our brittany. Except for the porcupines and skunk, I could not of written a better script for that dog. Jeff S. thanks again for all your help, you never tried to push or force anything on me, you just kept giving me good sound advice. When the woodcock are in next fall, I am going to try to get you up for a hunt, or if we go to pheasant farm, I will see if that will work for you. Or both :D If I can get my brittany cash and his mom for another hunt, I could arrange that too with you. Jim, thanks for all your nice comments too. My wife is picking up 2 boxes of r.s.t. shells today, I told her the gun and shells were for her for valentines day!! Sometimes her sense of humor is a little different than mine :oops: Thanks again, Ed
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

[quote="Wmatthaei"]Nice picture!
No, I'm in North Dakota - waiting for spring.
I've attended a couple of Bryan's shooting schools.
And it was valuable to me to have established a fairly consistent gun mount before doing a fitting.
Once done, I was amazed how stock adjustments to my gun moved the point of impact from consistently 18" high and right to spot on. Now when I miss, which is frequent, it's my own d--- fault.
Wm. Are you mostly shooting old guns? Or new guns too? I think my shots are always high, because of the way I mount the gun, the modern beretta I shoot does not have as much drop in the stock, I can't look straight down the barrel because my heads is pretty large. I am going to do some pattern shots like the fitting videos I have watched and see where my point of aim is. Then I will go from there, thanks again, Ed
Wmatthaei

Post by Wmatthaei »

I shoot one Philly Fox. My others are modern from CSMC and have the best fit. The Philly isn't too far off.
He's not inexpensive, but Bryan has been a tremendous help with my shooting form and gun mount.
Until those are consistent, a fitting is pretty much a waste of money IMO.
Bryan and/or his contacts have handled all the modifications to my guns and I've been nothing but pleased - although some of his craftsmen get pretty backed up. Might be better this time of year.
Good Luck,
Bill
PS
I think you'll like the RST's.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Wmatthaei,
Sorry for so many questions, after you got your fitting, were you able to order the CSMC to those specs? Did you buy the CSMC from Bryan, or does he not carry that brand? One of their ideas was to get the fitting, then purchase a modern spanish side by side that they sell built to those specs. I just like the thought of using an older side by side right now like the guy that taught me to hunt used. I will be able to tell a lot more after shooting some clay pigeons, and hunt with my fox. I just love that gun, just hope I can shoot it well. My buddy and I are going to pattern the old fox and my new beretta, he has a lot of knowledge about that stuff and has offered to help and he has a mounted clay pigeon thrower too. Thanks again, Ed
Wmatthaei

Post by Wmatthaei »

My story is too convoluted to cover here, but …
CSMC, if you're not familiar, is Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Co. located in New Britain, CT. They have acquired the rights to manufacture Fox and Winchester Model 21 shotguns. They've got a great website and gun room. If you're ever in the area, it's worth stopping. Whew! They'll custom build a gun to your specs. The Foxes are to the very exact specifications of the originals. To my knowledge, the guns they make are all higher grade. So, it's not an inexpensive proposition and it takes about a year from start to finish. The results are gorgeous - especially the wood they have! They also have access to some very talented engravers. They have a very large inventory of used guns. So there are a couple of options: have one custom made or buy an existing gun and have it fitted to you. Since their Foxes are all custom made, dealers including Bryan, don't see them often and they're all used. CSMC does have a fair number of their existing, new and used Fox guns pictured and listed on their site.

You have lots of options. If it were me, and since you're early into this game, I'd probably keep working with Bryan since he's so available to you. He's probably the less expensive route too. Bryan is very meticulous (In his words "anal") and has been at this a very long time. He's yet to steer me wrong and he's a great teacher. Have him give you a copy of his "Shooting Flying" video.
B
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Wm.
I got his video, and I went online and watched several other videos too. I am going to shoot patterns first and see where my point of aim is too. I will go to that website and probably drool, but until I fire this gun, I am going to listen to my friend the brittany breeder and go from there. I have very little spare time with my businesses, this is the only extra time I have (winter) so as soon as spring or warmer weather hits, I am on these sites, trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you for all your input. I did not know what the csmc even was. Learning more every day in here :)