Fox didnt get the game!!!

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Brian

Fox didnt get the game!!!

Post by Brian »

big storm coming so I went out yesterday 19 Jan to hunt one last time.
Had my new Dan Rossiter 20 Ga Fox upgrade for its maiden hunt.

hit one of my covers on the farm I caretake, about 30 acres and flushed 4 birds in succession out of a small patch of twin berry. one after the other. of course they all went out the other side and only gave me glimpses. I shot anyway since I have my Field Bred Springer Mollie with me. never touched a feather. One would flush, I would shoot, miss, reload, take 4-5 steps, a minute later another would go out, shoot, miss reload, did that 4 times.
then moved another 25 yards and flushed a single. and missed. then hunted another half hour and circled around to hit a another patch. Mollie worked a patch of laurel that was all pushed down form snow. one bird went out the other side low and I barely saw it and missed. it was very tight cover, then the next bird went out; same scenario, then another and then one more. All told, 4 birds under one clump. they went sailing down over some open woods so I went back up hill. Mollie flushed one more and this one I thought was in the bag. it towered up about 20 feet and then just as it went forward I shot and missed. then I threw one more at it but no go. hunted another hour and no more birds. what a great and lousy day all in one!!!!
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
Jim Cloninger

Re: Fox didnt get the game!!!

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Wow, Brian, that was an exciting hunt. Too bad you did not score on that last bird. When does your season end? Are you in NY? Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Brian

Post by Brian »

we can hunt birds till end of Feb.
our grouse season in southern zone is 5 months.
yes it would have been nice to get one bird. other times it seems like I cant miss (at least it seems that way). this wasn't one of them!!!
Brian
LTC, IN, USAR
Back in the land of the big PX
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc
President For Life- Southwest Asia Chapter AHFGCA
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I'm an optimist, Brian. Here's one way to view your scoreless day. A gun contains in it a certain number of misses. You got rid of a good many that day. So, there's more hits and less misses left in it. :wink:

But, what a day with the birds. Wow.

SRH
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Nice story Brian. That's more birds in one hunt then I've put up all season her locally. Always heard there are more birds further north and you are certainly further north. :)