Fox Ejector conversion from Extractor

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Re: Fox Ejector conversion from Extractor

Post by Silvers »

No plugs in the knuckle on this Fox extractor frame, thus significant machine tool work to convert to ejectors. Wait, let me get to a lab with an electron microscope just to be sure :lol:

frank

Be sure to click to expand ...
Knuckle (2).jpg
Aan
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

I will add that I have on hand here 7 different extractor frames. 2 are 16g, 1 is 20g. and the rest are 12g. Grades are SW, A and B. The range of manufacture is 1908 - 1929. ALL of them have plugged frames that are machined for the ejector type mainspring followers. I will note that the 1908 frame does have smaller plugs than the later ones.
,Brian Dudley
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

No biggie, the presence or absence of plugs in the knuckle isn't definitive.

For those readers who may be confused, the plugs (or the ejector trip plate collars) are a press-fit into a tapered hole that was drilled/reamed into the knuckle. That reaming was done from the front end when the frames were machined for inventory. Those plugs are common on extractor Foxes but some will be seen without the plugs as in the picture I already posted. If absent, possibly that was a cost cutting measure on frames that were earmarked for extractor guns.

Assuming your Fox frame has the plugs, the definitive test for easy conversion from extractor to ejector is as written earlier: "The nose of the long ejector-type mainspring follower must pass through a clearance hole in the hinge pin (on each side) and those holes are not always drilled through on extractor guns - no reason to do that for the extractor type follower. Thus some extra machining is required as I'd written here earlier."

I am posting one additional pic showing a long ejector-type mainspring follower layed on top of a Fox frame and it may be readily seen that the followers on each side must pass through the hinge pin. I've colored the ejector follower with red dykem to illustrate. And until someone completely disassembles a large enough sample of extractor Foxes to determine the presence/absence of a clearance hole through the hinge pin, there's no sense in anyone reporting they have X extractor Foxes with plugs in the knuckle. Again, the pic I posted two days ago is an extractor Fox that doesn't have plugs and doesn't have clearance holes for ejector-type mainspring followers. I’ll have that frame with me for show and tell for those who want to come by while at the Northeast SxS in June.

frank
Follower.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan