Heavy Duck Loads

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Researcher

Re: Heavy Duck Loads

Post by Researcher »

The NITRO CLUB load X4 with 22 grains of Ballistite (B) pushing 1 1/8 ounce of soft shot was offered in every Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalog -- 1911-12, 1913-14 and 1915-16. The headstamp shown on your box is the headstamp as shown in the 1915-16 catalog. I don't see any reason to think the box is any newer.
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Thanks Dave!! Craig
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

You got me thinking about this and I went back through the auction looking for Incorporated, because I wasn't sure I'd ever seen a label with it. I found this 16-gauge box --
The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company Incorporated
The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company Incorporated
NITRO CLUB X20D7 Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company Incorporated.jpg (94.44 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
and then I noticed this early Remington Arms Company, Inc. box with Successor to The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, Inc.
Remington Arms Company, Inc. Successor to The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, Inc.
Remington Arms Company, Inc. Successor to The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, Inc.
NITRO CLUB X23-7 1-2 Remington Arms Company, Inc. Successor to The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, Inc..jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
So, it appears that every step of the evolution is covered in the shot shell box labels. Some years ago I examined a Model 10 at the State Line Cabelas that carried the Remington Arms Company, Inc. Successor to The Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, Inc. roll-stamp on the barrel.
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Thanks great information for us box collectors.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Just went into the gun room and discovered that one of my boxes of ARROW 3-inch 20-gauge shells has the Successor to line --
Arrow Remington Arms Co., Inc. 20-gauge 3-inch Label Top.jpeg
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

They sure had a long run of the Nitro Club Box with the sunburst design. Do you know when UMC started using this style.
Attachments
20181217_132532_resized.jpg
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

No. None of the UMC paper I have from 1901 to 1910 pictures the boxes, just a cut-away of each loaded shell. The Encyclopedia of Shotgun Shell Boxes only lists rarity, not what years various labels were used. Here is an example --
Early NITRO CLUB labels, The Encyclopedia of Shotgun Shell Boxes.jpeg
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

I figure it must be 1905 or before? Craig
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

The NITRO CLUB had not yet appeared in the April 1899 UMC catalog, but is in the May 1900 catalog.
Share the knowledge
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Thanks Dave. Boy Nitro Club had a long run as a brand.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

NITRO CLUB loads last appeared in the 1937 Remington Ammunition Catalog. The high brass ARROW shells first appear in the 1901 UMC catalog and make their last appearance as the extra length, 10-gauge 3 1/2 inch and 12-gauge 3-inch, Express loads in the 29 July 1948 Remington Ammunition catalog. By the 3 November 1948 catalog the extra length shells are REMINGTON EXPRESS just like the regular length shells. The REMINGTON EXPRESS name replaced the NITRO EXPRESS name during WW-II, and I can still walk into Cabelas and buy a box of 12-gauge 3 3/4 dram equiv. 1 1/4 ounce REMINGTON EXPRESS loads, 16s and 20s too.

Damn is my OCD showing!!
Share the knowledge