Fox Sterlingworth Heavy barrels (HE weight)

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Silvers

Re: Fox Sterlingworth Heavy barrels (HE weight)

Post by Silvers »

Researcher wrote:I didn't look at my records, worked from memory!! Anyone have one of the guns from that third, earlier batch, that Frank reported in the 132383 to 132390 range? I've not recorded anything in that range...……………
Probably sitting in closets. Cards for (5) guns in that range are dated for shipment in 1937, 1938 and 1940.

frank
Aan
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I wish our old buddy Pete had mentioned the serial numbers of the eightbores.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Scaupman, that’s a neat Wildfowl gun. What is the single trigger?
Regards - Foxnut
scaupman

Post by scaupman »

Foxnut - that’s a Kautzky single trigger.

As documented in the Callahan Letter, the gun was fully optioned, i.e., Kautzky ST, beavertail FE, 3 IN chambers, etc.
birdawg

Post by birdawg »

scaupman wrote:
Researcher wrote:The Sterlingworth Wildfowl Grade is essentially the HE-Grade Super-Fox metal finished up in Sterlingworth finish. There appears to be two batches of Sterlingworth Wildfowl Grades. Maybe forty or so in the 1341xx serial number range. The ten that I have observed run from 134102 to 134130. Guns observed in this batch are stocked in Fox-Sterlingworth quality wood.
Dave - Apparently not all of the Wildfowls in the 1341xx range were stocked in Fox-Sterlingworth quality wood - here's a fully optioned Wildfowl, within the range you have recorded above, with a capped full-pistol grip stock and the original Hawkins pad. The Callahan letter indicates it was shipped in 1945 and says: "Of interest is the information is written on an "HE" grade card with the "HE" crossed out".
Umm Nice Gun!
"I have more than I need, but not as many as I want"
"The search continues on many fronts"
Life Member, A.H. Fox Collectors Association.
NorthernBob

Post by NorthernBob »

Foxnut wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm Here are a couple of pictures of two Wildfowlers from the different Serial # batches that Dave referred to in the previous post. The first gun is Serial # 35170 and is fitted with HE wood with PG cap and Jostam Pad (as recorded in the letter). The second gun is Serial # 134112 and is a later gun fitted with Savage Sterlingworth non capped PG and a Pachmayr White Line Pad. This gun is in a block of Wildfowlers that the order cards are not available for. I have seen three of these guns including one that is a single digit off from my gun and all three have the Pachmayr White Line Pads fitted to them. Notice the Tiger Stripe coloring of the second gun consistent with the late Savage era guns. Both guns have the frame polish line of the Savage era guns directly above the "worth" portion of Sterlingworth on the frame side.

image1 (6).jpeg

image2 (5).jpeg

image3 (4).jpeg

image4 (2).jpeg
Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I came across it while looking for info on a Wildfowl i just bought. Mine is 134111, just one off of Foxnut's 134112. It has the standard butt plate. Does the wood looks to be standard for Sterlingworths for the time?
Fox WF full R side.jpg
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

NorthernBob,
Yes the wood appears to be of the standard Sterlingworth style and finish of that era w/the capless pistol grip and finish. Very nice gun. Nice catch. When I get a chance I’ll post a pic of one of the guns from the other batch that Frank mentioned in the post.
Regards - Foxnut