Which Fox do you shoot best on clays?? game??

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
fox-admin
Site Admin

Which Fox do you shoot best on clays?? game??

Post by fox-admin »

I'm fortunate to own a nice group of Fox guns but for clays it's my DE 12/30" .040 chokes both barrels and 7lbs 15oz my go to clays gun, even with XF chokes it just points itself. Ducks it's my C-HE 32019 12/30 choked .023/.050 and 8lbs 9oz, I can't seem to miss with the gun. For upland it's my CE 20ga 26" choked .013/.017 5lba 14oz, I shot it lights out in SD for pheasants and Woodcock in NY. How about you???
Jeff S

Re: Which Fox do you shoot best on clays?? game??

Post by Jeff S »

When it comes to South Dakota pheasants, I have the most success with my 20 ga. Sterlingworth brush gun. Choked IC / Mod it just seems to knock ‘em down.
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Craig, your HE is very light! Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I had Dan Rossiter tweak a already restocked Sterly 20 gauge ejector. 26 inch barrels, 5 lb 13 oz, .004 and .014. Liked the way it shot so much I had it engraved as a second Generation A grade. I seldom miss with it in the Woodcock woods. Seems to point itself.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I'd be hard pressed to say. I did some good work one day last January with my 32" HE, with original chokes. Despite it's weight it swings well on those speedsters. But, I also shoot my 32" BE well on doves and clays. For quail, it's definitely my 28" Sterlingworth Ejector 20, with .006" and .016" chokes. It may well be the best quail gun I've ever had. I'm anxious to try it on woodcock this winter.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Good questions Craig; always nice to hear what works for other Fox guys and gals. And while I like to shoot a variety of guns for clays and hunting, if someone gets me in a headlock here are mine:

For clays, hands down it's my Ansley era 12-gauge CE Grade “Matilda" that has a storied past. Its #2 30-inch barrel is choked Mod and pretty Full. Weight 7-8.

As much as I like lightweight Super-Fox guns, for waterfowl it's my straight grip Super Twelve. A Grade straight grip with 32-inch tubes and choked Mod and X-Full. She weighs 8-3 and was shipped with 3-inch chambers in late 1923.

For upland it's my 1913 Sterly, 20 bore and converted to straight grip/thick wrist by some unknown craftsman. Weight 6-1 with 28" tubes and she's choked Mod and Improved-Mod.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aan
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

I haven't shot any of my Foxes on a consistent enough basis to pick one over another for sporting clays, but for live birds there is no mystery: For long, high and fast doves, either my A or AE 32" 20 gauges, both choked M/IM & F; for grouse my 26" 16 ga. SKUGG bored .005 & .011; for pass shooting or long range decoying ducks, my factory full-blown 12 ga. 32" 3" HE choked .049 & .050. My favorite gauge for woodcock is 28, for which I normally carry a Parker, but when in grouse country where we have encountered woodcock, I always carry a handful of 16 ga. RSTs in #10 shot just in case. Both of the 32" bbl. 20s weigh in within a few ounces of 7 lbs. each; the SKUGG 16 ga. at 6 lb. 12 oz., and the HE at a recoil-dampening 9 lbs. 14 oz. Kevin
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Everyone here probably already knows that for me it is Meat-in-the-Pot my 1914 vintage, 28-inch Krupp barrel, 12-gauge, A-Grade with straight grip that has been my go to upland gun since 1966. For skeet it is nearly the same thing, my 12-gauge, 28-inch barrel, Fox-Sterlingworth Ejector Skeet & Upland Game Gun. I have five "better" side-by-side Skeet Guns with beavertails, single triggers and a couple with vent ribs, but I shoot the double trigger Fox-Sterlingworth Ejector Skeet & Upland Game Gun with the standard Savage bulky slim forearm better.
Share the knowledge
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Craig, nothing wrong with .040 chokes for clays. Can you say "diesel smoke"? :D

Kevin, good choice with those #10 16g loads. They are deadly on those crazy mudbats!!
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

I think I would do my best with my Nash Buckingham HE, but it has not tasted game yet. Maybe pigeons would be a good first blood. Stay tuned.
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

I haven't taken a shot at any game in about 10 years or so and not disappointed at all.

I do shoot AT those clay pigeon types tho and have occasional success. That's where poor shooting does nothing negative other than make some noise.

I do like shooting my old standby that I've had 52 years. That's my early A12, SN 7983, 28 inch choked IC and Full with my 1/2 ounce light loads. I do fairly well with it.

I do take some of my other ladies to the dance to keep them and me happy: couple 20 gauge Sterlingworth's, my Model 1911 12 gauge Sterlingworth Brush with 26" IC and Mod barrels, XE12 with 28 inch choked IC and Mod and a more recent acquisition that holds its own.

All for fun and the enjoyment that comes with shooting with good friends.

It sure works for me.

Jolly
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

I only duck hunt now in my old age. I have three 32" 12 bores: a He, CE and C. I do about the same with all three!
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.