What is my Sterlingworth worth?

NO ITEMS MAY BE POSTED FOR SALE ON THIS FORUM or direct references to items for sale. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: A personal item that’s obviously for sale or would appear to be for sale; or if a link is posted to some other site where the item is for sale. Please note that references to items posted elsewhere are ok for discussion as long as a direct link is not included. Any "Wanted to Buy" posts are not allowed and will be removed. The moderators will delete any posts that are deemed offensive, abusive or slanderous in nature. Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services

What is my Sterlingworth worth?

Postby fox-admin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:17 pm

I get all the requests for information from our home page. I get about one per day asking about Fox guns. By far the most common question is " I have my relatives Sterlingworth what's it worth?" In 90% of the cases it's a 12 ga example. How do you think I should answer? I give them a range of 300 to 700 for an average orginal gun, higher if untouched near mint. If it's a 20 I give a range of 1300-1800 and a 16 a range of 1000-1500 and always say mint untouched guns will bring more. What say you? Thanks Craig
And one more thing, in all the years I have been answering questions I have purchased only two guns for myself. So it really has been a labor of love.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: What is my Sterlingworth worth?

Postby JasonPeck » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:35 pm

I get this question constantly on the Fox Facebook group and through private messages.

Normally I say $800 for an unmolested standard 12 gauge Sterlingworth, but I think your estimates are spot on.
AHFCA Life Member
JasonPeck

Postby Researcher » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Sounds right to me, but I haven't bought or sold one in years.
Share the knowledge
Researcher

Postby MARSHFELLOW » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Spot on Craig. Minty minty will bring a hefty sum..... but I mean minty. (like what the term was intended for)
tjw
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
MARSHFELLOW

Postby JasonPeck » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 pm

Researcher wrote:Sounds right to me, but I haven't bought or sold one in years.

Actually I just sold one in very good condition for exactly $800.
AHFCA Life Member
JasonPeck

Postby Stan Hillis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

Sounds right to me too, Craig. In addition, it might be helpful to explain the added value of the gun if it has ejectors. A "canned response" would likely be the best course of action.

SRH
Stan Hillis

Postby jolly bill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 am

Sounds just about right.

I'm sure your help is appreciated.
jolly bill

Postby vaturkey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:53 am

I think your pretty much spot on. The only thing I normally ask about the 12 gauge Sterly is whether it has 32" barrels or ejectors as both of those things in an average conditioned gun will bump them up a good bit. Beyond that its condition condition. Even a lowly 12 gauge sterly with 30" barrels will bring a good price if its truly minty.
vaturkey

Postby MARSHFELLOW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 am

yessir
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
MARSHFELLOW

Postby Jim Cloninger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 pm

Craig, can you put the response you have given above on the home page in the Sterlingworth section? Then, you do not have to take the time to answer everyone.
Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
Jim Cloninger

Postby eightbore » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:55 pm

If you put a canned response on the home page, can you possibly program an automatic value decreaser for the future? Just kidding, of course, since the Fox shotgun seems to be immune from the decreases that plague other makes. Does anyone else see it this way?
eightbore

Postby fox-admin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:06 pm

My gut says high original condition to near mint Sterlingworth and A grade guns have depreciated by 30% to 50% over the last 3 to 4 years.
There is still very strong interest in Super Foxes, small bores B grade and above and untouched XE's and above in 12ga.
I agree Parkers have depreciated more than Foxes. I bought two Parkers recently for 50% to 70% less than market a few years back.
My advice to collectors stay away from field grade guns.
Another thing to consider is DGJ paid subscriptions are down by 50 percent from the high a few years back.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Postby DarylC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:49 pm

You are right on Craig. Smallbores, especially 20's will bring a premium if in the 30-32" range. That being said the description of mint is pretty vague. A couple of weeks ago a friend called me from a local gun show and said there was a "mint" pin gun. The guy wanted $1500. I stopped by to look at it and it was a tarted up, reblued, refinished gun in less than "mint" condition. Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder.
DarylC

Postby Sporrns » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:06 pm

"Uber dittos" to both Craig and Daryl - saw three perfectly acceptable 12 ga. shooter Sterlys at our local gun show today; 1st one your standard condition 30" PG SFE with original hard butt and nearly no original case colors but good original blue on bbls., extractors, at $800. Second one a 28" gun with PG SFE and what looked to be an original but severely deteriorated Jostam pad; offered at $695, and the third a nice-at-first-glance 32" trap with suspicious potential restocking with BTFE but both stock and FE in correct checkering pattern for Fox, also a dubious but finely fitted steel butttplate ala pre-1900 hammer guns. (Begs the question, who would order a steel buttplate on a trap gun!?), offered at $1495.

Also surfaced at the same show, a very good all original 32" SuperFox with PG, SFE, decent wood and no repairs with what looked to be a vintage recoil pad whose origin I could not determine from the wear on the back side. Asking price was $8600. (Not sure if it is a 3" chambered gun.)

Re Daryl's originality jag, I just recently filled the niche in my collection for a nice Pin Gun, an early gun with decent colors and blue left and excellent barrels with hard buttplate and good modern dimensions for shooting over better than average wood for right at $1K. Fits me great and a ball to shoot!

Lastly, the 20 gauge 32" market is a true kaleidoscope. Depending on the grade and where you can find them and how many others know about their availability, it can turn into a Bitcoin futures market. The range within the last 18 months that I have personally been involved with has been in the $4K - $25K range. All this is what I have seen and experienced most recently (e.g., last 19 months) at shows and in the field. Kevin
Sporrns

Postby fox-admin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Beauty is known to the eye of the educated buyer. I am amazed how many guys bring a obviously screwed with Fox to our booth and proceed to tell us it's a mint untouched example.
fox-admin
Site Admin

Return to Fox Collectors Forum