grease

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
snakeeater

grease

Post by snakeeater »

Any thoughts on using marine wheel bearing for hinge pin and hook ? Thanks .
Silvers

Re: grease

Post by Silvers »

Fritz, when a question like yours is posed on gun sites it usually prompts replies by fellas who try to sound like graduate lubrication engineers in testing labs. The fact is that the hinge pin, hook and frame knuckle are not subjected to high speed repetitive cycles and hence any good modern lube grease will do. Far more important is to clean and replace the grease regularly. A Q-tip works well for cleaning old grease from the hinge pin and hook. And an old rag on the frame knuckle and f/e iron radius. To apply I use a plastic applicator that looks like a large hypodermic needle ...... just a small drop or two on each surface. Alternately the grease can be put on using a toothpick.

frank
Aan
spyder

Post by spyder »

I always suspected that. Thanks for confirming, Frank.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Frank, good tip on the "application" technique. Is your applicator something that you purchased and you "load" with grease? There was a time in my life when I used to shoot a black powder, muzzle loading revolver (Cabelas). Each cylinder would be loaded with powder, cornmeal and then the lead ball. Once the ball was "seated" I was told to apply "crisco" to the top of the ball to seal the cylinder. After my first outing, I determined that there had to be a better way to store, and apply crisco. I bought a very small container of Elmer's glue and rinsed all of the glue out with hot water. Then I packed the glue dispenser with crisco. I carried this Elmer's glue dispenser with me and whenever I needed to "seal" the chambers on my revolver, I would twist open the cap, and squirt a little crisco onto the cylinder. Worked like a charm. Maybe I'll try that with my grease.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Jeff, good thinking. That's a great idea for percussion revolvers.

For lubing double guns as described here I use a 10 cc size polymer syringe, Brownells # 081-100-610 @ $14.99 for 6 syringes, retail cost. Remove the plunger, add some grease, no need to fill it completely, then replace the plunger. Let it stand with the tip UP in a warm place for a day or so; the grease will migrate back against the plunger. Then the air will be expelled when you push on it. For heavy grease I'll snip about 1/4" off the tip to get a larger diameter orifice.

frank
Syringe.jpg
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
snakeeater

Post by snakeeater »

Silvers wrote:Fritz, when a question like yours is posed on gun sites it usually prompts replies by fellas who try to sound like graduate lubrication engineers in testing labs. The fact is that the hinge pin, hook and frame knuckle are not subjected to high speed repetitive cycles and hence any good modern lube grease will do. Far more important is to clean and replace the grease regularly. A Q-tip works well for cleaning old grease from the hinge pin and hook. And an old rag on the frame knuckle and f/e iron radius. To apply I use a plastic applicator that looks like a large hypodermic needle ...... just a small drop or two on each surface. Alternately the grease can be put on using a toothpick.

frank
Frank, Thanks I clean the pin , hook and knuckle as you said. I do it every other time its used. I know marine grease is for high speed and heat, however it sticks well and I have a ton of it around. I have 3 boat trailers to keep up so that is what is handy. Thanks All, Cheers Fritz.
abner

Post by abner »

Frank: I hate to ask this, but your photos really do help when you are teaching. Thanks, Ralph
Ralph
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Ralph, I added a pic to my second reply.

frank
Aan
abner

Post by abner »

Thanks
Ralph
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

I seem to have a flashback to 30 years ago and some folks were using STP as hinge pin grease. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that at some point.
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

vaturkey wrote:I seem to have a flashback to 30 years ago and some folks were using STP as hinge pin grease. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that at some point.
Tom, you are correct. My first coach told me to use STP.
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

In the spring of 1977, when I got my Model 3200 Skeet tube set, it came with a 3.75 ounce jar Remington High Pressure Hinge Grease. Have been using it on all my guns ever since and still have about 1/3 of it left.
Share the knowledge
ROMAC

Post by ROMAC »

I've never thought too much about it and always used grease from one of those little milsurp grease pots that used to be ubiquitous at gun shows.
Attachments
B24.jpg
"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark