Help, safety is stuck in the safe position.

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
fox-admin
Site Admin

Help, safety is stuck in the safe position.

Post by fox-admin »

I was shooting my single trigger Fox AE and it ejected the spent shells and it appears the auto safety moved to the safe position. The gun opened and the triggers cocked, but the safety is frozen in the safe position. Any idea on what happened? Should I remove the trigger plate and inspect the safety rod??
OH Osthaus

Re: Help, safety is stuck in the safe position.

Post by OH Osthaus »

any Fox I have had apart the safety rod was pushed back by the top lever

not sure how much you can see from the trigger plate

as for why- the rod could be stuck. I had a Sterlingworth that bound up and I had to take the safety button out and clean it and the slot -
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Craig, there are at least three versions of the Kautzky single trigger and it's hard diagnose without at least pulling the trigger plate. Just from your description it seems the safety slide is being blocked from moving off that part of the mechanism that blocks the trigger when on SAFE. Could be something got in there, maybe a broken spring? On later guns I've also seen the little block on the safety slide come loose and rotate. Please keep us informed.

frank
Aan
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

Thanks Frank and Rick. I know when not to attempt repairs myself, since it sounds like it could be complicated, a job for a trigger expert. So I will give it to Dan May for repair. Craig