Pin Gun hinge pin screw alignment

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Sporrns

Pin Gun hinge pin screw alignment

Post by Sporrns »

I picked up a nice Fox Pin Gun over the weekend (my first) to round out my collection. Its a nice early gun with some colors left, good wood and bluing and with the standard hard butt. The hinge pin screw slots on both sides of the hinge are cocked upward at about a 60 degree angle from the horizontal, which bugs me. I don't know anything about the hinge pin engineering; do the screws hold the joint roll in alignment? If so I guess natural rotation over the last 110 years allowed them to work out of their original alignment with slots parallel to the rib. I don't want to bugger or otherwise damage them trying to rotate them back into alignment; has anyone done this and what type of penetrant/anti-seize product(s) did you find best? I have used CRC, Break-Free CLP and PB Blaster products to free up frozen, rusted and stuck nuts and bolts and all 3 worked really well. Thanks in advance, Kevin
Researcher

Re: Pin Gun hinge pin screw alignment

Post by Researcher »

Both my March 1910 The Sterlingworth Co. and my late A.H. Fox Gun Co. Sterlingworth Ejector "pin guns" have pressed pins. The screw slot on my 60xxx Sterlingworth "pin gun" is dead horizontal.
Share the knowledge
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Something like this Kevin. And like Dave's Pin Guns.

This one is SN 57979, a 26" Brush model shipped on October 24th, 1911. (25 years to the day before I was born. Have owned the gun 45 years.)

Jolly
Attachments
IMG_0383-1.jpg
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

Thanks Dave and Bill - the one I just bought is SN 51634 with 30" barrels, weighs in at 7# 12 oz. and is choked .023 and .039. I'd like to get a letter on it but I'm still waiting for the letter I requested on one of my HEs that I sent in October of 2019. I've called Savage 3 times, spoke to 2 live humans and left one voicemail message for the historical department. As of this date, no callback or other contact and they still have not cashed my check. Kevin
loggy

Post by loggy »

Bill,
Thanks for sharing another nice gun.
John