Smith Suggestions?

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
CTFlyFisher

Smith Suggestions?

Post by CTFlyFisher »

Hi Folks,

I'm considering having a pair of 20 gauge barrels I've come across matched to my 1927 Sterly 16. The donor barrels are dent free and retain original choke, however I suspect the ribs may need to be relayed and as a result reblued. I've had the usual smith suggestions - Merrington, Turnbull etc. however they are priced higher than I would like to spend for a sterly project. I recall seeing some folks having work done by smiths out of NY state and other Northeastern locations. Has anyone had work done by folks in this neck of the woods that can point me in the right direction? Any feedback as to the quality of their work?

Many thanks,
W.
Jeff S

Re: Smith Suggestions?

Post by Jeff S »

I have never had that type of work done, but several of the "members" seem to really like Jon Hosford, 1204 N. Main ST., Ann Arbor, MI 48104. His cell # is 734 395-9818. I don't know his email address. I'm under the impression that people who are really interested in great work, go to Jon. By the way, as you are strolling through the autumn woods with your lightweight 20 ga. Sterly, you'll forget all about the cost of having the barrel fitted. :)
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

i cannot see how relaying ribs will not be an expensive project for a Sterlingworth

you might talk to Brian Dudley
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

I talked to Merrington about replaying a partially detached rib; he wouldn't repair it - said he would have to relay the whole rib, and he wouldn't do it without relaying both. Seems to me the number he mentioned was $3500-4000.
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

Fin2Feather wrote:I talked to Merrington about replaying a partially detached rib; he wouldn't repair it - said he would have to relay the whole rib, and he wouldn't do it without relaying both. Seems to me the number he mentioned was $3500-4000.
and why would someone want a craftsman to do a half ass job - RIGHT?
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Hmmm! I've heard numbers like $300 - $500, but keep in mind that it doesn't include bluing. Since I haven't had the work done, I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I've heard that Kevin at Vintage Firearms can do it. Again, I've never had it done. Jeff
Brian Dudley

Post by Brian Dudley »

Remember... you get what you pay for! Rib work is not something to cheap out on.

And, to the poster that brought Hosfords name up... Hosford does not have an FFL and will not accept a frame, which will be needed for your job when it comes to the fitting part of the barrels. I am sure he would maybe entertain the rib work.

No matter how you look at it, adding a second set of barrels to a SW will be a money loosing endeavor, even if you go on the cheap end of getting the work done.

And, if the barrel set you are looking at needs ribs relaid, then they are not really a very good buy in my opinion. Just find a sound set that does not need that work done and save yourself the hassle.
,Brian Dudley
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Brian Dudley wrote:Remember... you get what you pay for! Rib work is not something to cheap out on.

And, to the poster that brought Hosfords name up... Hosford does not have an FFL and will not accept a frame, which will be needed for your job when it comes to the fitting part of the barrels. I am sure he would maybe entertain the rib work.

No matter how you look at it, adding a second set of barrels to a SW will be a money loosing endeavor, even if you go on the cheap end of getting the work done.

And, if the barrel set you are looking at needs ribs relaid, then they are not really a very good buy in my opinion. Just find a sound set that does not need that work done and save yourself the hassle.
All good and valid points from Brian.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

True, but how many aspects of this doublegun game aren't a losing proposition,if you only figure it in dollars?

SRH
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Stan Hillis wrote:True, but how many aspects of this doublegun game aren't a losing proposition,if you only figure it in dollars?

SRH
:) :) :) We're all here for fun.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

The Saturday before Christmas found me at the local mall doing a little last minute shopping along with a million other procrastinators. While milling about Barnes and Noble, I noticed a "seasoned" gentleman reading the latest issue of Covey Rise so I decided to strike up a conversation with him. His name was Steve and he was reading an article written by a gunsmith friend of his, named Delbert Whitman. Steve went on to say that Delbert was one of the best gunsmiths around and was known in the "Southeast" and even worked on guns for people from "Brays". Steve also was quick to discuss his Irish made 12 ga. hammer gun, I think it was a Murphy or Murray. Mr. Whitman's shop is located in Lake Ann, just 20 minutes west of my cottage which would be very convenient. It's always good to have a "go to guy" so if anyone has a comments regarding Mr. Whitman, either positive or negative, please "pm" them to me. Thanks, Jeff
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Jeff S wrote:The Saturday before Christmas found me at the local mall doing a little last minute shopping along with a million other procrastinators. While milling about Barnes and Noble, I noticed a "seasoned" gentleman reading the latest issue of Covey Rise so I decided to strike up a conversation with him. His name was Steve and he was reading an article written by a gunsmith friend of his, named Delbert Whitman. Steve went on to say that Delbert was one of the best gunsmiths around and was known in the "Southeast" and even worked on guns for people from "Brays". Steve also was quick to discuss his Irish made 12 ga. hammer gun, I think it was a Murphy or Murray. Mr. Whitman's shop is located in Lake Ann, just 20 minutes west of my cottage which would be very convenient. It's always good to have a "go to guy" so if anyone has a comments regarding Mr. Whitman, either positive or negative, please "pm" them to me. Thanks, Jeff
Jeff,
He's well known and has a real good rep. Does a lot of work for Fieldsport:

https://www.facebook.com/whitmangunsmithing/
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Tom, thanks for the feedback.
glassman48

Post by glassman48 »

Jeff,
I took my first old shotgun I purchased (just before yours) Del spent a lot of time with me, checking the barrels, the barrel thickness, overall condition of the gun. He knew I had not hunted in years, and I left with a much better understanding of old shotguns. I know he gets pretty busy, there may be a bit of a wait, but a lot of people really like this guy. He worked a lot on english guns if I remember correctly.
Fox20obsessed

Post by Fox20obsessed »

I want to start this post by stating that this is in fact my first post on this website. I joined this site to hopefully spare some others a headache. I am 33 years old and have been collecting Fox shotguns for only about 8 years now. That being said I do have several nice 20 gauge foxes including an unfired 20 gauge A-grade s/n 200563. I also have 3 other high condition 20 gauge fox guns...one is currently with Mr. Rossiter for an upgrade from utica sterly to c-grade.... ok, that out of the way. I had a 16 gauge upgraded fox gun to an x-grade that I bought as “tight as new” well, long story short the seller lied. After I called him on the lie he agreed to pay for a repair. So I sent my new (to me) upgraded X-grade that I had to take a 401k advance to buy to your Mr. “Del Whitman” from “D.C. Whitman custom gunsmithing” because I had read about how great he was via the internet here. I read an article stating about how Del had a guy that could “micro weld” the barrel hook of my gun and then smoke fit the barrel lug to get the barrels back on face and good as new. COOL!!! So I called Del, “Oh ya he said, no problem we can do that in about 3 weeks to a month time.” He said. Ok so after that call, off the gun goes....6 months later and several calls to Delbert and I have finally received the gun back. $6000 of shotgun and I open the case to assemble the shotgun and find that not only has the shotgun NOT BEEN FIXED but that the gun is now looser than it was before being sent and I am now screwed out of $500 dollars. As I’m sure you can only imagine I am pissed off beyond reproach at this point and call him several times. When I finally get through to Mr. “Del” he is very smug with me, and proceeds to talk to me as if I am doing him a disservice. I reamed him out as best I could and hung up the phone feeling absolutely shammed out of $500 dollars. DO NOT SEND THIS HACK any work. Be forewarned. I am not a gunsmith trying to mess with Del’s business, but a customer...a customer that he screwed really really bad.