Chamber length

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ryder55

Chamber length

Post by ryder55 »

How do you properly check chamber length on a super?

Thanks, Alan
Jeff S

Re: Chamber length

Post by Jeff S »

The very best way to measure the chamber on a "Super" is to bring it to Hausmann's on Thursday, September 19 and ask Frank to measure it for you. I forgot the name of the beer that he likes, but I think it's only available in Eastern PA. Jeff
ryder55

Post by ryder55 »

I wish. It’s a long drive from Florida
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Chamber depth is considered to be the distance between the breech end of the barrels and the joint between the chamber body itself and the forcing cone, which reduces down to bore diameter. This is loosely based on the length of the "Fired" shell. Today, theoretically when the crimp opens on the shell being fired the end would land at the junction of the chamber and cone. Prior to WW-II many companies had the practice of holding the chamber about 1/8 inch shorter than the shell for which it was intended. Fly in the ointment is nominal measurements often differ from actual ones in both chambers and shells. A very good method I have found of measuring chambers without much outlay of cash, and is quite accurate enough for virtually any situation, is a common 6" flexible machinist's scale which you likely have. Hold the barrels with muzzles toward a light source, not necessarily a concentrated one a window is great, while looking into the breech and the cone will be thrown in a shadow. May have to move the barrels around a little until it is distinct. While still looking into the chamber simply slide the scale in until you observe the end coming flush with the shadow line & mark position of breech end with your thumb. Remove and read the scale. I usually repeat this a few times to insure I am getting a consistent reading, but you will be amazed how accurate this can be done. While I own a Galazan chamber gauge, I use this more often than not. The chamber body itself has a taper of about .005" per inch. Sometimes chambers were cut with slightly worn reamers giving a slight undersize chamber. If the chamber is a bit undersize a gauge made to "industry" standards will not go in to the true depth of the chamber. A.H. Fox Gun Co. shotguns are known for having tight chambers. The machinist’s scale method can be more accurate.
Share the knowledge
Jim Cloninger

Post by Jim Cloninger »

Excellent description, Dave. Jim
Goodbye Mandy, once in a life time hunting dog. I miss you every day.
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

In my limited experience a brass Galazan chamber gauge will read:

2 1/2" for a Super with 2 3/4" chambers.
2 3/4" for a Super with 3" chambers.

But obviously this isn't very accurate.
AHFCA Life Member
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

What Dave said. While Frank's ability to measure them with specially made equipment is most desired, it is obviously not readily available to most of us. The machinist's scale method is amazingly repeatable, and plenty accurate enough to determine what shells the gun is suited for, IMO. One other way I believe would work well, for someone untrusting of the scale/shadow method, would be to pour a chamber cast with Cerrosafe, tho' I've never felt the need to do so.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... od384.aspx

Best wishes, SRH
ryder55

Post by ryder55 »

Thank you for all the info!
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

ryder55 wrote:How do you properly check chamber length on a super?

Thanks, Alan
Alan,

Some very good suggestions have been offered above and will do what you need to do to determine chamber length.

Here's another one that I use quite reliably.

I cut an empty, fired plastic hull off right at the beginning of the metal base. As square as you can cut it is helpful.

Clean up the burrs and square it off if necessary. Just slide the cut off end into the chamber until it stops at the beginning of the forcing cone and measure how deep in the chamber your "gauge" is. Then just add that number to the length of your "gauge" and you have the chamber length.

Handy if you make your gauge a nice even number like 2.0 inches.

Make them for 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28 if you have such a need.

Like these . . . .

Jolly
Attachments
Chamber gauges
Chamber gauges
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Regarding Supers, I use three special gauges. One to check chamber length (to the start of the forcing cone). The other one verifies the included angle of the Super taper which is different than on regular 12 bore Foxes. The third will check length of the forcing cone if one or both of the first two are awry. The three gauges will determine "righteousness" for those who want to confirm unmolested Fox factory work and thus high-end value/pricing. Many Supers both 2-3/4" and 3-IN have been modified by gunsmiths over the years.

Once again I'll have my Super gauges at the upcoming VGC at Hidden Hollow and will be happy to check your Super's chambers gratis although you will owe me good cigar or a cold beverage. This is a shooting event for me and I'll only be at the Fox tables from time to time, no set schedule, and hence you'll have to find me.

frank
Aan
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

In reply to Jeff's comment/question about which beer Frank prefers, my friend loves either Iron City Lite or Old Frothingslosh. Either one will do. In a pinch, you can always kick in a quart of Rheingold Extra Dry. Party on Garth!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Hmmmm! I thought there was a beer that had kind of a catchy "two word" advertising slogan, but I can't think of it. This is going to keep me awake all night.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Sleep well Jeff. That might be Utica Club. “UC for me”. Actually I’m not much of a beer guy nowadays but have one occasionally. A cold soda will do too. Or some good bourbon and water. Of course that’s after shooting is done for the day.

Hey Mike, Rheingold brings back memories and so does Kaiers ..... 3 quarts for a buck back in the day. :roll:
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

UC for Me! That's it. :)
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

Frank, I remember as a kid watching the Mets broadcasts on channel 9 with Lindsay Nelson and Ralph Kiner pitch men for Rheingold. :D