unable to break Sterlingworth

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jamiephalliday

unable to break Sterlingworth

Post by Jamiephalliday »

Hey forum

*moved from the wrong topic*

I’ve just joined from the UK, where a couple of months back I was lucky enough to be able to buy a 1921 sterlingworth with Ithaca barrels.

My dealer and I think it’s chambered for 2 3/4 cartridges but each time I’ve used them, I have been unable to break the gun after shooting a couple of rounds.

It’s back with the gunsmith for the second time (the first time the striker went thru the percussion cap) to see what the issue is, but I wondered if this had happened to anyone else?

The dealer has tested it with 2 1/2 cartridges and says it works fine with them - he’s put a box thru the gun before he sold it on. FYI it’s an ejector with 32 inch barrels

I’ll post pics in a bit - I don’t want to give up in it because frankly, I’m in love with it. When I have been able to shoot it, it’s been sweet.

Edit - pub chat reckons its the 2 3/4 (70mm) cartridges expanding by a nats cock too much and pushing back on the striker...

Thanks in advance
JasonPeck

Re: unable to break Sterlingworth

Post by JasonPeck »

Do you mean "Utica" barrels?
AHFCA Life Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Ansley H. Fox doubles do not have rebounding hammers and are quite sensitive to various primers. Here in the U.S. I've found my Fox doubles are most happy with Remington primers and some of my guns really don't like Winchesters.
Share the knowledge
jolly bill

Post by jolly bill »

Researcher wrote:Ansley H. Fox doubles do not have rebounding hammers and are quite sensitive to various primers. Here in the U.S. I've found my Fox doubles are most happy with Remington primers and some of my guns really don't like Winchesters.
I have found this to be the case also.

I have an early A grade 12 gauge that is hard to open after shooting shells with Winchester primers.

Not a problem opening the gun after shooting it if I use Remington primers in my reloads. A couple other of my Fox's don't care what primers are used.

So try using shells with Remington primers.
Jamiephalliday

Post by Jamiephalliday »

Thanks everyone.

Yes sorry, meant Utica barrels.

It’s with the gunsmith now and we can test it but we don’t really have that much choice of different primers in the uk - certainly not a choice between Remington and Winchester. We use eleys generally.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Yup, sure enough just a nat's cock (or gnat's cock) of excess expansion sometimes causes sticking of firing pins in primers. Your 32" Fox is a coveted gun in the USA.
Jamiephalliday

Post by Jamiephalliday »

Pics for you, just because.

Gun has now been rebuilt and springs replaced - I’ll let you know how I get on. I’ve also bought some lighter load 2 1/2 to minimise any pressure issues.
Attachments
21376C07-FBB0-4C16-A1F6-329F67A5B24D.jpeg
Jamiephalliday

Post by Jamiephalliday »

And again
Attachments
87906558-3057-4107-8A58-47B53F13666A.jpeg
Jamiephalliday

Post by Jamiephalliday »

One more for luck
Attachments
826B1ECD-1DC2-4EF1-BE2A-28813C9AD4EC.jpeg
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

32-inch 12g Fox Ejector gun = very desirable. It appears someone's been inside as the main frame screw and rear tang screw look like they've been replaced. Interesting placement of that rear bead. Just one other comment, the break lever is too far right thus the locking bolt will have limited bearing on its mating surface in the barrel extension. You might ask your gunsmith to adjust for more contact to bring the lever left but still a bit right of center. Often when the bolt contact isn't right a Fox will try to pop open after firing, or the opposite extreme where it's very hard to open.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Jamiephalliday

Post by Jamiephalliday »

Thanks for the tip, Frank. I’ll have the lever looked at.

the gun has definitely been stripped a couple of times (and that’s since I’ve owned it) so it’s not too surprising that it’s had those new screws.

I didn’t actually think the two sights were pearl either . I’ll have a closer look!

I really like the gun. I have a Waltham and Waltham pocket watch from 1911 and it has the same feel - simple, unpretentious and relatively unadorned, but very well made. I’m going to be doing some research to find out how it made it to England.