Fox 12ga Top Lever

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Milesview

Fox 12ga Top Lever

Post by Milesview »

I would like to know if my top lever is slightly to the left do I have a problem ?

Thanks
Silvers

Re: Fox 12ga Top Lever

Post by Silvers »

For A H Fox shotguns - open and close the known to be unloaded gun normally (not easing the lever left). Remove the forend and try to wiggle the barrels side to side and up/down. Any movement indicates wear in the lever/locking mechanism and/or with the hinge pin and barrel hook. To be evaluated and repaired by a competent Fox 'smith. On the other hand if no movement can be felt I wouldn't worry about lever slightly left until a future check shows the start of movement as described.

Just an aside: once in a while you'll see classic double guns advertised with something like this: "a little loose with forend off and tight with forend on". A nice sounding phrase coined by those who don't understand the mechanics or are trying to sell guns that need work.

frank
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

"Just an aside: once in a while you'll see classic double guns advertised with something like this: "a little loose with forend off and tight with forend on". A nice sounding phrase coined by those who don't understand the mechanics or are trying to sell guns that need work."

Frank, thanks for the wise advice. I thought about your comment as I was reading GI posting 101226702 just a few minutes ago. :)
Milesview

Post by Milesview »

Thanks for the information, very helpful