Low Pressure Shells

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

Low Pressure Shells

Post by Jeff S »

Because I haven't devoted a lot of time to studying shells, I take the easy route and simply order RST for my modest collection of vintage shotguns. Today a gentleman handed me a box of B & P (Baschieri & Pellagri) 12 ga. shells with 7/8 ounces of shot and rated at 1160 fps. I'm sure that they're safe to use, but I was just wondering if any of you have experience with this ammo, and if you like it. RST has a lot of "No Stock" situations right now. Jeff
mikeborden

Re: Low Pressure Shells

Post by mikeborden »

Jeff,
I have used them. But there are different B&P's. I know some of them that are rated at that particular fps is around the 6800 pressure range, but not all of them. However, you can find out their pressures by going to the webpage and looking at the description of them. I can't remember where you can order them off the top of my head, but that's where it will show the pressure ratings. I've shot a couple of flats to try and the only issue I had was every once and a while I would have the firing pin's drag on the primers so the gun would be a little hard to open. The are a little cheaper than RST as well, but I know they've had issues with keeping them instock. Sometimes that site that sales the B&P will have free shipping, so it makes them even cheaper than RST's. I like RST's as well, so I'm not saying one is better than the other. I have noticed that it seems the RST's will not have the firing pin drag issue like other shells though.

Mike
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks Mike. I went to their web page and also downloaded their product catalog. You mentioned that the load that I had tried was in the 6800 pressure range. Where can a guy like me find that information? Jeff
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

The 12 ga. B&P Competition One 7/8 oz loads are excellent. I'd shoot them any day.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Dave, just curious as to what guns you use them in. I have had the devil's time finding guns that will shoot them reliably without a lot of misfires. They seat deeper in many gun's chambers than other brands. I can't use them in my Foxes, or in my BSS, or several others.

Thanks, SRH
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

Stan, I went through a couple flats with a Ruger Gold Label of all things. No problems, no misfires, just nice soft shooting loads that really worked well.
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

Stan, I'll just add that I bought them for a large SxS shoot (Medford), and what I had leftover I shot through my Beretta O/U with no misfires. Your experiences make me much less likely to buy any for my current Sterlingworth.

FWIW, I just bought 3 flats of the Federal Top Gun 7/8 oz loads (1200 fps), and they worked very well in my Sterlingworth at a SxS shoot a couple weeks ago. That said, I did have a tender shoulder after the day and they seemed a little peppy to me. Next time my slip-on pad will be used.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

I think the only gun I've found that will fire them 100% is my Perazzi, and I don't need low pressure shells for it.

I think Mike mentioned once that he's seen some misfire problems with them in a few vintage guns, too.

SRH
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

I've had excellent performance from the B&P 1 1/4 oz loads on pheasant. These are the older 1300 fps load. Now they are 1400 fps and just a bit too much whammy in a field O/U.

Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Almost 20 years ago I was shooting a Beretta 682 at sporting, and the local range got in some B & P 1 1/8 oz. loads. I tried them and found that they would often slip under the ejector. I guess I am just the guy who has had the worst luck with B & P shells of anybody! :cry:

SRH
Sporrns

Post by Sporrns »

I shot a box of the strange "Monark" modern-label "Dove Loads" yesterday at trap; box nomenclature screams "High Velocity # 8 shot 1 oz. Game Loads, perfect for dove & quail !!" Shot them out of a 2nd-yr. vintage M32 TC Remington Trap gun , bored .018 lower & .038 upper. A little more 'thump' than my favorite bunker trap loads of yesteryear at 7/8 oz. in Fiocchi or Federal competition loads, but really shredded targets from 16 to 27 yards during a round of Chinese Trap (oscillating trap shot from the skeet stations). For an economy load ( I found them in an old stash of mixed comp loads) they performed very commendably. I think the combination of a lighter shot charge and the higher velocity (1350 fps) "oils the water" sufficiently to produce a high-functioning low-priced shell. Worked for me; I wound up high gun for the round. Kevin
mikeborden

Post by mikeborden »

Jeff S wrote:Thanks Mike. I went to their web page and also downloaded their product catalog. You mentioned that the load that I had tried was in the 6800 pressure range. Where can a guy like me find that information? Jeff
Jeff,
Aerostar outdoors used to show it, but they have changed their website and it seems they aren't listing that anymore. Since they changed their website, I would NOT assume they are still lower pressure if you are looking for a lower pressure shell.

Mike
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

mikeborden wrote:
Jeff S wrote:Thanks Mike. I went to their web page and also downloaded their product catalog. You mentioned that the load that I had tried was in the 6800 pressure range. Where can a guy like me find that information? Jeff
Jeff,
Aerostar outdoors used to show it, but they have changed their website and it seems they aren't listing that anymore. Since they changed their website, I would NOT assume they are still lower pressure if you are looking for a lower pressure shell.

Mike
Thanks for the advice.