Comb risers

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Fin2Feather

Comb risers

Post by Fin2Feather »

You can tell when you're bored out of your mind :roll: . I had some oral surgery which has laid me kinda low so I've been rambling around the house looking for low impact things to do. I have a couple guns with a bit too much DAH and find I don't shoot them very well so I've been trying various comb risers. They do help. Tonight I threw them on the postage scale and found...

The Beretta gel-tek I just got and which I understand a lot of fellas use weighs 3.66 oz. When you think of it that's almost a quarter pound which to some folks would be a decider in whether or not to buy the gun!

The lace on leather one which to some might be more appropriate on a vintage shot gun weighs nearly the same - 3.65 oz.

The neoprene/Velcro one - not the coolest looking by far - weighs a mere 1.56 oz.

So there. You can add that to the other useless info you've got stashed away :D .

Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Stan Hillis

Re: Comb risers

Post by Stan Hillis »

I can add this "useless" info. A Jostam Hi-Gun pad adds 7.1 oz. to a gun, a Hawkins Repro w/ straight slots adds 7.2 oz., an original Hawkins trestle (hearts) adds 5.5 oz., a Jostam No-Kick-Coming adds 3.7 oz., and a leather KickKiller lace-on pad adds 4.8 oz. The rubber recoil pad weights I mentioned are for unground pads, so the actual weight to a gun after fitting and grinding will be less, but the range may be helpful for comparison.

IMO, getting the LOP nearly right is more advantageous for me than the extra weight on the butt is disadvantageous. YMMV.

SRH
Mike of the Mountain

Post by Mike of the Mountain »

I'm with Stan. Gun weight is probably the least worry for me. A descent LOP is desirable. Doesn't have to be perfect, but it shouldn't be too short. I've never come across a SxS that was too long!! Bear Tooth also makes a slip on, adjustable comb riser. We use them when giving lessons to get a gun to fit better especially for the ladies and youth. It's a neoprene sleeve that fits over the stock and it has various sizes of foam pads to build up the comb. They cost about $17 and can be used over and over on any gun.

Brownells:

Elevate your game, elevate your comb. Simply put, Beartooth’s Comb Raising Kit 2.0 is the easiest and most effective way to build up height on your gunstock. If your shotgun shooting accuracy suffers due to improper gun fit or you need help getting up to the cross-hairs on your rifle’s high powered scope, you have found the solution. Building upon the success of our first generation the newly updated 2.0 version features an opening for built-in swivel stud access, improved construction, and trim around all raw edges for excellent style. The CRK includes a heavy-duty neoprene sleeve and (5) various sized hi-density foam inserts. Use just one, or a combination of cheek pad sizes to alleviate any ill-fitting situation. Achieve increases as little as 1/8” or up to 1.5”+. Vastly superior to other canvas cheek risers – no straps or Velcro. The Comb Raising Kit 2.0 offers the shooter the best in comfort and fit – try one out today.

Features:

Gain proper eye alignment for high-powered scopes
No more expensive or permanent gunsmithing, just slide on neoprene cover and insert foam
Rubber backed fabric grips to wood or synthetic stocks, keeping foam in place at all times
Stretchy neoprene accommodates a large range of stock shapes and sizes, also guaranteeing a tight fit
Reduces felt recoil on cheek improving shooting comfort and accuracy
Built-in swivel stud access
5 sizes of inserts for increased versatility
Construction: Heavy-duty neoprene body and thread, reinforced seams

Sizing & Fit: One size fits most. Intended to fit snug, rubber back prevents slipping. Does fit women and youth firearms but may not be as snug. Sleeve is 7" in length

Each CRK 2.0 includes: (1) neoprene cover and (5) sizes of cheek pads for versatility and adjustment: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8"
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Just mere observations fellas; no endorsements or opposition stated or implied :roll: .
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

No opposition or endorsements intended by me, either. Just my observations, also.

Hope you heal quickly from the surgery.

SRH