Choke Taper

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
Jeff S

Choke Taper

Post by Jeff S »

I have a question regarding the "taper" of a Fox choke. I own a Fox that is choked .033" / .033". The factory card states "Full / Full". Now, a constriction of .033" is "kinda" full, but I wouldn't say that it's really tight. Some of you might consider "full" to be more like .039. Is there a way that I can determine if the choke has been "opened" a little? For some reason I want to think that someone told me that a Fox choke does not follow a consistent taper. Does the choke slowly constrict", then flatten out, and then continue constricting. Or is the choke a steady, consistent a taper? I can't remember the details so please share the knowledge. Thanks, Jeff
Jeff S

Re: Choke Taper

Post by Jeff S »

Sometimes it's just best to figure it out on your own. I don't know why that I thought there was a "parallel" section within the choke taper. Maybe I dreamt it. I measured both chokes in the gun in question, taking a reading every 1/2". The taper of the choke was nice and consistent. I then switched to another Fox that has barrels that I'm confident haven't been molested. Once again taking a reading every 1/2". This one also had a nice, steady taper. I guess that settles it. No flat, or "parallel" sections within a Fox choke.
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

Sorry I missed this. Yep, they all seem to have that taper. Pretty easy to figure out if the chokes have been opened up on a Fox as must smiths out there won't taper them like the originals at all.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

AH Fox guns were made from 1906 to the late 1940’s and at two different factories while shotshell technology was advancing. After measuring enough of them you’ll find some righteous factory barrels that are choked with a leading taper, then a parallel section, then a taper out to the muzzle. For those with a continuous taper, the diameter reduction per inch of run (included angle) isn’t necessarily uniform from its start to the muzzle. And neither is the length of the choke taper - with equally tight chokes the earlier guns will generally be longer.

An exception here is the Utica-era "Fox Skeet" choke that had a leading taper that transitioned to a reverse taper out to the muzzle = kind of an hourglass profile and very similar to Winchester's WS-1 Skeet choke.

Net, choke tapers and profiles will vary but ime any Fox with a parallel choke section at the muzzle is suspect as regards the originality so prized by collectors.

frank
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Very good! Thanks for the help Frank. I thought I had read your explanation once before, but I couldn't remember it. I appreciate the "refresher". Sincerely, Jeff
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

EDITED: I was writing in haste earlier to avoid being late for a vet appointment. I edited to clarify a point here.

Thank you Jeff, I appreciate you coming back. Returning to your chokes of 33 points each, I'd say if the choke tapers run right out to the muzzles, the chokes are original and produced Full patterns with period shells . Oft times gents beat the drums on Fox chokes of 40+ points but in my mind they are X-Full. A good comparison may be made with Winchester Model 12 and 21 chokes where the Big Red W used 30-35 points of constriction for Full choke (70%) patterns. All things equal, there's no reason to believe a Fox wouldn't do likewise.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aan
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Thanks Frank. I know that measuring tools can very depending on the "operator", but I have carefully measured these chokes several times I am convinced that they taper "to the end". Thanks for the guidance.