Savage fox 16 gauge

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
AverageBirdHunter

Savage fox 16 gauge

Post by AverageBirdHunter »

Hey everyone.

New to the forum and this is my first post. I recently inherited a good condition 16 gauge Savage Arms Fox. I'm in the process of breaking down the gun for some in depth cleaning, and am following the process on the Fox collectors website. I'm looking to get some input on material needed to restore the receiver and wood furniture to original finish. This is my first Fox, and I want to do it the right way. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_05072021_143232_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg
fox-admin
Site Admin

Re: Savage fox 16 gauge

Post by fox-admin »

I would not mess with that gun it's in very nice original condition as it sits. Restoring the case color on the receiver is a job for professionals like Turnbull Restorations, it would be a expensive endeavor and add little value. The stock finish looks original as is.
AverageBirdHunter

fox-admin wrote:I would not mess with that gun it's in very nice original condition as it sits. Restoring the case color on the receiver is a job for professionals like Turnbull Restorations, it would be a expensive endeavor and add little value. The stock finish looks original as is.
Thanks for that. I don't believe the receiver is color-cased, I believe it is nickel based on the silver color. Again, I'm not 100% in on how the original finish was on this gun. The stock has great color but has some knicks that I wanted to get out. You are right in saying it's in nice condition. I think I'm to the point where I just want to get a good cleaning on everything as most of the internals are pretty dirty and have some rust.
AverageBirdHunter

Picture of internals for reference
Attachments
IMG_05072021_160300_(2000_x_1500_pixel).jpg
fox-admin
Site Admin

Post by fox-admin »

After case color wears off Fox actions looks like nickel, trust me the action was case colored. Look at high condition example on our web site.
https://www.foxcollectors.com/fox-gun-g ... -directory
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

The wood looks nice to me. Congratulations on the fine gun. You’ll have a lot of fond memories of carrying it afield.
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

AverageBirdHunter,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Agree w/Craig that the original case color has worn off but the “nickel” look is still very much original. Wood looks good as well. The internals definitely need a good cleaning but I am not an expert (far from it) on how to do it. Once you get everything clean show is the after pic. Thanx - Brett
Regards - Foxnut
edgood

Post by edgood »

clean the action parts without further disassemby...an over night soak in kerosine followed by scrubbing with a tooth brush...repeat as necessary to get rid of most of the rust.

lube with your favorite spray production...let it dry over night..

reassemble, function test. and then test fire...

if no ok, then seek professional help or sell it to me....