Fox hinge pins

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services

Fox hinge pins

Postby Stan Hillis » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:02 am

Out of curiosity, not because of any particular project, are the hinge pins on Foxes hardened? Most doubles do have hardened ones, but I've been told that not all do.

If they are, which I expect to be the answer, were they hardened as a part of the action case hardening process, with the pin already in place?

Thanks, SRH
Stan Hillis

Re: Fox hinge pins

Postby Silvers » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:08 am

Stan, I'm sure Fox hinge pins were dressed off, engraved as per Grade and in place when the frame was case or cyanide hardened. Kind of interesting to think about that, a (relatively) soft barrel hook wearing against a surface hardened hinge pin. frank
Aan
Silvers

Postby Stan Hillis » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:53 pm

That's what I envisioned as having happened at the Fox factories, but it's good to hear your opinion, Frank.

I've been reading some very old threads on another doublegun forum about rejointing an action that is off face. Strange how many people are insistent that replacing the hinge pin is the only proper way to do it. Most, I think, are parroting something they've read in some book or magazine, and have never given serious thought to the fact that the hook will sustain most of the wear, by far, because the pin is so much harder. That is, as long as the pin was hardened when the gun was built. I just didn't know about Fox guns.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

SRH
Stan Hillis

Postby Brian Dudley » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:00 pm

The hinge pin on a Fox would be case hardened, right along with the rest of the frame that it is installed into.
,Brian Dudley
Brian Dudley

Postby MARSHFELLOW » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:33 pm

........well, Exhibit A.... I owned a bunch of unfinished frames once. Sorry these pics are poor but I took a picture off one of my old laptops where the pictures are. Anyway, the hinge pins are in the frames waaayyyy before they were finished.
Attachments
frames 2.jpg
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
MARSHFELLOW

Postby Silvers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks Tom for posting, confirms what I and Brian replied.

frank
Aan
Silvers

Postby MARSHFELLOW » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:21 pm

............ absolutely!!
IN GOD WE TRUST. SPE Skeet & Uplands and AH Fox vent rib guns a specialty
MARSHFELLOW

Postby Stan Hillis » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:24 am

Absolutely, thanks so much Tom.

SRH
Stan Hillis

Postby eightbore » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:08 am

There is really no reason for the lug surface to be hard, at least not as hard as the pin, if the pin happens to be hardened. The minimal movement when opening the gun should result in almost no wear over the years if the surfaces are kept fairly clean and a bit wet with oil or grease.
eightbore

Postby Stan Hillis » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:53 am

I agree, Bill. I doubt that barrel hooks were ever hardened.

SRH
Stan Hillis

Postby Brian Dudley » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:22 pm

There may be some exceptions, but I would say that it would be the case for nearly all other makers too. The hinge pin is case hardened right along with the rest of the frame. And the barrel hook is softer material.
,Brian Dudley
Brian Dudley

Postby Foxnut » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:13 am

So based upon these observations then would the solution to an “off face” situation be to add material to the barrel lug/hook and the refinish for proper fit? I have seen that work done and read threads on that before. Thanx - Brett
Regards - Foxnut
Foxnut

Return to "Technicana" and Restoration Forum