Super fox restoration

Post your questions or seek advise regarding gunsmithing, restoration, repairs, ballistics, etc, etc.
Commercial operations or businesses may not advertise nor appear to advertise their products or services, either directly, or indirectly by a second party, except for simple reference as a source for such products or services
ryder55

Super fox restoration

Post by ryder55 »

I recently came into possession of a 12ga super fox that is missing some parts and needs a little work. I love to duck hunt and would love to get the gun back in the duck blind one day. I am located in central Florida. Does anybody have any information on a gunsmith or parts in this area or what they would recommend to have the gun put back into action.
OH Osthaus

Re: Super fox restoration

Post by OH Osthaus »

what is missing?

depending on what you need - Jason may have the parts -https://www.ahfoxparts.com/
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
ryder55

Post by ryder55 »

forearm, trigger guard, and most of the screws/bolts. bottom barrel rib is starting to delaminate
ryder55

Post by ryder55 »

please see the pictures
Attachments
IMG_6683.jpg
IMG_6683.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
IMG_6682.jpg
IMG_6682.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
IMG_6681.jpg
IMG_6681.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
IMG_6685.jpg
IMG_6685.jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
IMG_6680.jpg
IMG_6680.jpg (38.07 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
ryder55

Post by ryder55 »

one more
Attachments
IMG_6684.jpg
IMG_6684.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Looks like a good candidate for restoration. It would be best to find an ejector forend (or at least a forend iron) that came off a Super. A f/e iron made for a regular Fox 12-gauge ejector gun could be made to work but would need expensive mods = been there done that on a Super that came to me without a forend. But even a complete f/e that came off a Super will likely require some work to get to fit and function on your frame. On the barrel rib, as you talk with gunsmiths almost all will want to sell you a total rib re-lay to include rebluing. Just based on what I see its worth a try to reattach that loose section and keep the barrels more/less honest. I've done a few of them now and none came loose. The balance of work needed looks pretty straightforward once you locate the parts. That missing main frame screw (under the break lever) might portend additional work needed inside the frame but you won't know that until disassembled. From what I see on the one pic, you're missing the hammer and sear pins and likely the hammer sears and sear spring.

Sorry, I don't know any good Fox gunsmiths within driving distance in your neck of the woods. You'll probably end up having to send it to someone. I no longer do recommendations because most good Foxsmiths have very long queue times (read years) and occasionally I get snarky comments here and on other sites after I recommend Mr. X or Y over Z. Possibly others will step up here with personal recommendations for 'smiths and with contact info. But again, please choose one who will keep that Super as honest as possible and isn't pushing you to "refinish" if you can. They're not making 'em any more.

Just so you know, I don't do gunsmithing except on my own guns and am not soliciting work. Trying to help here.

Last thought - you might consider joining up to the Fox Collectors to be able to access the members' part of the site. You're more likely to get a range of good answers there from gents who know what they’re talking about.

frank
Last edited by Silvers on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aan
OH Osthaus

Post by OH Osthaus »

if you're going to be missing parts - those are not the worst ones to have to find

that's all good advice from Frank
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
DSizemore

Post by DSizemore »

Ryder... There was a Super for sale online that had cut barrels, but if my memory is correct everything else was fine. It might be a worthy bag of parts for you, everything relative to what you have in yours verses what you’d have to pay for the donor. Just a thought...
vaturkey

Post by vaturkey »

DSizemore wrote:Ryder... There was a Super for sale online that had cut barrels, but if my memory is correct everything else was fine. It might be a worthy bag of parts for you, everything relative to what you have in yours verses what you’d have to pay for the donor. Just a thought...
That's certainly an option and perhaps a very good one. Just making a forearm and the internals from scratch will cost over a thousand and perhaps closer to 2K.
ryder55

Post by ryder55 »

do you know where that super fox is listed for sale. I have been looking for a donor gun with no such luck.
DSizemore

Post by DSizemore »

Guns International, I think.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Listing #101257523