Help Identfying Sterlingworth Double Barrel

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
shredwear

Help Identfying Sterlingworth Double Barrel

Post by shredwear »

I am new to this forum and members. And to be fair not much of a gun expert. We acquired a number of pieces from my wife's fathers collection, I am trying to identify the double barrel gun pictured here. Looking through the various pictures of Sterlingworth models I can determine that it has a Lyman Ivory Bead, matched serial numbers but I have yet to find any images of a Sterlingworth with the engraving shown in this gun.

Any help would be appreciated. Serial number 93673, matched on barrel, trigger guard and barrel flat.

I have attached a few pictures, can certainly add more. Some information I collected while inventorying:
Attachments
Serial93673-plate.GIF
Serial93673.GIF
Serial93673.GIF (72.98 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
ToprearView.GIF
ToprearView.GIF (19.34 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
IvoryBead1.GIF
IvoryBead1.GIF (19.22 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
Sterlingworth1.GIF
Researcher

Re: Help Identfying Sterlingworth Double Barrel

Post by Researcher »

Pretty safe to say, that while this gun started life as a Sterlingworth, it has had a considerable bit of "upgrade" work done since it left the A.H. Fox Gun Co. factory. We have no way of knowing, with the available pictures, by who or when the upgrade work was done.
Share the knowledge
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

That gun, though nice, is not in original condition. It is a Fox Sterlingworth, but none were sold with that level of engraving. The engraving is aftermarket, and though nicely done, does not increase the value of the gun substantially, IMO.

SRH
shredwear

Post by shredwear »

Thank you for the replies. Now I understand why I haven't been able to locate any photos of a similar pattern of engraving.

Is there a way to locate, or provide other photos that might shed some light on who/when the additional engraving(s) were done?
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

No way you will find out who or when this engraving was done. Go over the entire receiver with a high magnification glass and look for a signature or initials. If you wish to sell it, take very good pictures and advertise it on gunbroker.com with a medium level starting price with no reserve. You will get what the gun is worth. Post pictures of the entire gun, top and bottom, including the wood, stock and forend. Good luck.