And here is Fox #2

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
vaturkey

Re: And here is Fox #2

Post by vaturkey »

200052 wrote:Turkey: Do you suppose this gun was shipped from the factory with the floor plate screw offset ?
Trigger guard screw also offset. I'm probably incorrect and it has been apart, but certainly whomever took it apart had the proper screw drivers, and that doesn't happen too often.
Silvers

Post by Silvers »

Just my opinions based on the pics provided here:

The SP/oval proof stamp under the left barrel breech relates to proofing of the original s/n that's punched over.

Generally the factory wouldn't fit a barrel from one Fox to another one as that's more difficult than just starting with a new, virgin barrel set from inventory. Nevertheless if this barrel had been fitted at Savage/Utica I'd expect to see another SP/oval proof stamp nearby the second s/n that's stamped under the right barrel breech. Also the factory would have match-buffed the barrel breeches with the breech balls.

To my eye the number fonts although similar, are different - see the difference in width between the 0's (zero) on the frame and on the barrel flats.

The trigger plate screw and trigger guard tail screw not being indexed to 12/6 o'clock are inconsequential. This is a later Sterlingworth.

frank
Aan
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

Researcher wrote:Is there a serial number stamped on the back of the extractor? If so can you read it?
No, there is no serial # on the back of the extractor.

Interesting findings. Thanks to all here for sharing your expertise. In my eyes I have a perfect imperfect shooter in this Fox. There are clays to smoke and ducks to fold, maybe a few pheasants, too. All of the originality in the world means nothing to me if I can't shoot a shotgun well enough, and this one has already leapt that most important hurdle.

Full disclosure, I'm exploring entry level Foxes and Parkers simultaneously. I just bought a lovely Parker PH with 30" steel barrels. Another bargain as it too is imperfect with an overbuffed receiver, but lovely in my eyes nonetheless. I guess ignorance is bliss. At this point I have a workable vintage pair for midwest SxS shoots and general mayhem.
Fin2Feather

Post by Fin2Feather »

Dave, keep loving those "imperfect" vintage shooters. I have a number of those myself; I call them my Orphans. A Trojan 16ga with a buffed receiver and a too-short stock requiring a spacer; it accounted for my first ever true double on wild pheasants last fall. A Fox A Grade 16ga with an ill-fitted spacer that I've never gotten around to replacing; still beautiful to me and is my favorite field gun. A Sterlingworth 16 with wood that may or may not have been refinished; I never cared enough to find out for sure. A Parker SBT with a chopped barrel that breaks targets as well as I'm capable of. The list goes on. I probably don't have a single "collectible" gun in my cabinet, but that's OK; we have a deal: I don't point out their shortcomings, and they don't point out mine :D .
Utica Fox Appreciation Society - Charter Member
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

Fin2Feather wrote:Dave, keep loving those "imperfect" vintage shooters. I have a number of those myself; I call them my Orphans. A Trojan 16ga with a buffed receiver and a too-short stock requiring a spacer; it accounted for my first ever true double on wild pheasants last fall. A Fox A Grade 16ga with an ill-fitted spacer that I've never gotten around to replacing; still beautiful to me and is my favorite field gun. A Sterlingworth 16 with wood that may or may not have been refinished; I never cared enough to find out for sure. A Parker SBT with a chopped barrel that breaks targets as well as I'm capable of. The list goes on. I probably don't have a single "collectible" gun in my cabinet, but that's OK; we have a deal: I don't point out their shortcomings, and they don't point out mine :D .
Phil, we're on the same wavelength. There's lots to love in the world of imperfect.
Stan Hillis

Post by Stan Hillis »

Dave Erickson wrote:
Fin2Feather wrote:Dave, keep loving those "imperfect" vintage shooters. I have a number of those myself; I call them my Orphans. A Trojan 16ga with a buffed receiver and a too-short stock requiring a spacer; it accounted for my first ever true double on wild pheasants last fall. A Fox A Grade 16ga with an ill-fitted spacer that I've never gotten around to replacing; still beautiful to me and is my favorite field gun. A Sterlingworth 16 with wood that may or may not have been refinished; I never cared enough to find out for sure. A Parker SBT with a chopped barrel that breaks targets as well as I'm capable of. The list goes on. I probably don't have a single "collectible" gun in my cabinet, but that's OK; we have a deal: I don't point out their shortcomings, and they don't point out mine :D .
Phil, we're on the same wavelength. There's lots to love in the world of imperfect.
Amen, and plenty of company.

SRH
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

I treated myself and this orphan Fox with a little little TLC over the winter. The right barrel was restruck to fit, then the set rust-blued, furniture blued, muzzle squared, chokes opened to IC/M. I'll pick it up and shoot it at the SxS shoot in Wausau, WI tomorrow. I know what you're thinking regarding the expense, but it was all done for just over $300 by a very competetent SxS smith, so it's all in keeping with this non-collector. So in all I have about a grand in a Fox that actually fits, and it should serve me well both on the range and in the field. Clays and roosters beware! :)
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Very good! It's always a good idea to save a Fox. They're not making them anymore. :)
Dave Erickson

Post by Dave Erickson »

Thanks, Jeff. I really like it.