Late FOX SBT

Use this area to post pictures of you favorite Fox
49packard

Re: Late FOX SBT

Post by 49packard »

The letters are (R.L.M.) for Ray L. Mc Neece his name plate was inside the case that the Shot Gun came in. He belonged to an Iowa Gun Club.
Brian
49packard

Post by 49packard »

fullsizeoutput_4e4.jpeg
Hello eifhtbore and The FOX Nation,

Checking inside the case I found some information. Ray L. Mc Neece belonged to The Marshall Country Gun Club and The Newton Gun Club in IOWA. He purchased the gun from Fairchild Fine Guns in
Flemington MO 65650, Date unknown. The stock work was dome by a Gun Smith in Waterloo IOWA now closed. They say that he was an above average trap shooter. I'm going to freshen up the case a little bit. It puts a nice cap on my FOX Shotgun Collection.
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

His name is not in the 1920 or 1922 ATA books for Missouri or Iowa. I will search further. What is the estimated date of manufacture? I have researched my Fox single trap guns with mixed results.
49packard

Post by 49packard »

I checked on the computer and found that # 400522 was made in 1932? I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Brian
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

I checked on the computer and found that # 400522 was made in 1932? I hope it helps.
If the gun was from 1932 it would be marked Savage Arms Corp. as my 400543 is. That old Lightner Library serial number chronology, originally published in 1976, and available various places on the internet for free, is worth just what you pay for it.
Old Faithful.jpg
Share the knowledge
49packard

Post by 49packard »

WP_20190409_16_03_06_Pro.JPG
The Order Card I got from The FOX Collectors for # 400522 matches the gun. The address on the left side of the barrel is "MADE BY A.H.FOX GUN CO. PHILA. PA. U.S.A." The Order Card # is 10497? Can The Assoc. help me put with this one? Thanks. Brian
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Unfortunately, the only way you can know when your gun was shipped is if there are dates on the back of the production card. Again, unfortunately, the AHFCA only has a copy of the front of the card, so the only way to access that information would be a letter from Savage. I looked through the SBT production cards and while I didn't actually count, I'd say probably less than 25 have what appears to be Savage invoice numbers on the cards. Your card has an A.H. Fox Gun Co. order number. From observation of the guns themselves, it seems that no more than the last fifteen have the Savage introduced profiling to the top of the receiver and breech end of the barrel.
1933 Trap Guns folder inside.jpeg
Share the knowledge
49packard

Post by 49packard »

A.H.FOX SBT #400522.JPG
I had a Factory Letter from Savage Historical Services dated May 2018. I'm hoping I can post it! Tnanks. Brian
JasonPeck

Post by JasonPeck »

I like the new header Savage is using for their letters.
AHFCA Life Member
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Well, there you go!! Great example of the lack of usefulness of that serial number chronology.

That certainly appears to be a better letter than many have reported receiving. Congratulations!
Share the knowledge
Jimmy Goodtime

Post by Jimmy Goodtime »

I received a factory letter two days ago that resembles this one. Nice letter head, nice quality paper, raised stamping and the information was all there. This is the first factory letter I have ever gotten, but I had read about the issues/lackluster quality after sending off for mine. I was pleased when it arrived and maybe they have gotten their act together now over there. Just sharing my personal experience. Regards!
49packard

Post by 49packard »

HELLO FOX NATION,

I requested that letter last year in May and was very happy with it. I have a few from Savage Historical that were very plain like other members got. Oh their new price is $ 65.00 for any letters STERLINGWORTH or Graded Guns. I was told that this morning. Brian
Foxnut

Post by Foxnut »

Brian,
Thanks for sharing the info and pics of your SBT gun. Cool that you were able to trace some of the history on the gun and put it back to a very serviceable condition. Love these trap Guns. I have owned a straight stock SBT for many years and shoot it from time to time as well. Brett
Regards - Foxnut
49packard

Post by 49packard »

Thank you fellow FOX COLLECTORS/FRIENDS for the wealth of information, Advertisement Cards about my SBT. I have waited a long time for it to come back from the Gunsmith in Vermont, but it was worth it! I shot it about a week ago at "The Highland Rod & Gun Club in Foster, RI. It is a bit different than shooting a side by side and I'm sure I will get better with some practice. It sure got a lot of looks in the rack at the Trap Range. Thanks Guys and Happy Easter to you all.

Brian
eightbore

Post by eightbore »

Your McNeese didn't register any ATA birds in Missouri or Iowa through the twenties and thirties. Just for good measure, I checked the 48 states, territories, and Canadian provinces for 1929 without finding any mention of him. Apparently, he was a recreational shooter or a pigeon shooter. Great letter you got. I will try some of those.